Depression is a mental disturbance characterized by feelings of hopelessness and inadequacy. The most common types of depression are: major depression, clinical depression, and chronic depression (dysthymia). But there are also other types of depression with unique signs, symptoms, and treatment.
What are the signs and symptoms of depression?
Not everyone with depressive illnesses experience the same symptoms. The severity, frequency and duration of symptoms will vary depending on the individual and his or her particular illness.
- Persistent sad, anxious or “empty” feelings
- Feelings of hopelessness and/or pessimism
- Feelings of guilt, worthlessness and/or helplessness
- Irritability, restlessness
- Loss of interest in activities or hobbies once pleasurable.
- Fatigue and decreased energy
- Difficulty concentrating, remembering details and making decisions
- Insomnia, early–morning wakefulness, or excessive sleeping
- Overeating, or appetite loss
- Thoughts of suicide, suicide attempts
- Persistent aches or pains, headaches, cramps or digestive problems that do not ease even with treatment
Along with their treatment providers, Americare can assist with your recovery from depression.