Diabetes affects the body’s ability to use blood sugar for energy. The main types include Type 1 diabetes, Type 2 diabetes, and gestational diabetes. Diabetes insipidus, a rare disorder, is not related to diabetes mellitus (sugar diabetes).
Common symptoms of diabetes include:
- Excessive thirst and appetite
- Increased urination (sometimes as often as every hour)
- Unusual weight loss or gain
- Nausea, perhaps vomiting
- Blurred vision
- Vaginal infections
- Yeast infections in both men and women
- Dry mouth
- Slow-healing sores or cuts
- Itching skin, especially in the groin or vaginal area
Americare works with patients diagnosed with diabetes to help maintain their diets and properly manage their diabetic regimen.